Re: Digitizing Records from Microfilm

We have begun imaging our records here at the American Friends Service
Committee and we are very selective about what we OCR convert.  At this
point we are only converting to text those things which for we want full
text search capability, ie. committee minutes.  Things like birth records,
marriage records, it seems to me, probably don't need to be converted as you
wouldn't need the search capability, and you really wouldn't want them
manipulated in a word processor.  Sending images across email or displaying
them on web pages can easily be done by converting them to pdf files instead
of uploading huge digital graphics.  The software to create pdf is
inexpensive, the software to read pdf from the user side is free, and the
process of creating them is much simpler than OCR conversion which requires
proofing.  Just my humble opinion.

Joan Lowe,
Asst. Archivist
AFSC - Philadelphia