jobs and salaries

I have looked at job advertisements for over thirty years and the
percentage of those listing salaries and those not listing in ads has
remained the same.  People searching for jobs need to be more aggressive
in finding out what they need to know -- it is not part of some giant
conspiracy to beat down the poor archivists.  Other professions also have
many job ads that do not post salaries -- the result of custom,
willingness to negotiate, and other matters.  We should be thankful we
have the Internet/Web and the ability to post jobs much more quickly and
to post jobs that at one time only were advertised locally.

Richard J. Cox
Professor
Department of Library and Information Sciences
School of Information Sciences
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Voice:  412-624-3245