Ebay

ago:

In early June, I noticed an item entitled "Galveston County, TX, Tax
Record Book" for auction on ebay.  This document was described as "the
only known copy of the rendered Tax Records for Galveston County, TX for
the year 1854."  I immediately notified the Texas State Archivist, the
archivist of the Houston Public Library, and the Records Management
Officer of Galveston County.  Later that afternoon, I received a call
from the Galveston County Sheriff's Department making further inquiry.

This morning, I encountered the Records Management Officer at the County
Courthouse while handling personal business there.  He advised me that
Galveston County contacted the seller and requested the return of the
document.  Non-compliance would result in two years in jail.  The seller
promptly returned the document, claiming that he had found it in an
antiques shop.

I'm pleased with the outcome.