Renovations and Patron Use

In the spring of 1999, a multi-year renovation of my library was started.  Major construction and asbestos abatements have been on going since that time.  Back issues of journals, and books that hadn't circulated in X number of years were (and still are being) moved to an off campus site 11 miles away.  All the materials in the Special Collections department (mine, of course) were also put off site.  Two trips a day are made to retrieve materials requested by patrons and the ILL office as we promise a 24 hr turn around time.  Also, books are being moved from floor to floor to truly confuse everyone.

Now, it appears that patron use of the library has dropped significantly from last spring, and people are wondering why.  Has anyone else encountered such a situation in their institution during major renovations, and did the patrons return when all was done?  Or, can we contribute the significant drop in statistics to something else?  (My department has not experienced a reduction in patrons, but what is bothersome is to we retrieve the materials and then the patrons never show up to use them.)

Beth Turcy Kilmarx
Curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts