From: Kurilecz, Peter [mailto:peter.kurilecz@WOODSIDESUMMITGROUP.COM]
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2000 2:47 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Draft Terms of Participation for the A&A List

Carol wrote:
<<But what is the real purpose of this TOP?>>

Good question
The first page of the Mark's original posting states that "several issues
relating to he list have arisen for SAA Council's consideration."
(paraphrasing his post)

1. Changes in Copyright law
Yes the law has changed and copyright holders such as music publishers and
newspapers have become more aggressive about pursuing alleged copyright
violators by going after the "deep pockets" ie universities etc who host
listservs and allow students to store mp3 files on university servers. That
is the real issue of copyright not the issue of  seeking permission before
forwarding a posting or quoting extensively from a post.

2. Increased 'spamming'
I don't know why but this list regularly gets spammed. That doesn't bother
me as much as the subscribers who don't understand how the REPLY button
works. This list has more problems as a result of subscribers replying to
the spam then it does from the original spam itself. How can this be solved?
Easy learn how the listserv works, learn how your email software works, be
careful when replying to anything, Read the "To" line (is your name there or
is the listserv name). And finally learn where the delete button/key is.
Also in the several years on recmgmt(and now recmgmt-l) I don't (honestly)
ever remember it being hit by spam. I wonder if the software settings for
A&A can be adjusted so that only subscribers can post to the list?

3. Off-topic postings
yeah verily "Friday Funnies", BBQ, hush-puppies etc are off-topic. The list
can get down right silly at times. But you know what? "All work and no play
makes Jack or Jacqueline (to be PC) a dull person". I would suggest that
such topics be labeled either Humor or Off-topic and that be placed in the
subject line. That way those not interested can delete at will. (by the way
did anyone else see the Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer's Culinary Institute
of America last night on the Iron Chef?)

4. Attachments and computer viruses
This in my opinion is the biggest problem. Subscribers to this list, moreso
than others that I know of, are guilty of continually posting attachments to
the list. Once again this can be easily solved by learning how to operate
your email software properly and learning proper netiquette.

And yes I am guilty of violating some of them.

So to finally answer Carol's original question (see above) the real purpose
consists, in my opinion, of three letters --- CYA. These terms will allow
the listmanager and the Council to block or remove a subscriber who is in
"violation" of the terms (copyright violations, off-topic or abusive
postings that threaten to disrupt the functioning of the list). My concern
would be what is the formal process that will be used to determine who is in
violation and will that subscriber be removed in the middle of the night? Or
will an announcement be posted? Unfortunately the blocking/removal of a
subscriber can be difficult since that subscriber can sign up with a free
email service and rejoin the list under a pseudonym

Just remember these Terms will be come effective 30 days after Mark's
original posting. (see original posting)

Well I must get back to researching how long to retain tissue samples (no,
not Kleenex brand)

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management
Woodside Summit Group, Inc