Re: Box labels

I have yet to find a pre-glued box label that stays on the box for a long
period. The CA State Archives uses both pre-glued labels and custom-made,
computer generated labels for acid-free records center-size and Hollinger
type boxes. In both cases, we use a glue stick to secure the label. This
seems to work well provided all the edges receive the glue. We have boxes in
the stacks with fifteen-year old labels secured in this way that seem to be
holding up okay. Of greater concern to us is the lack of a folder label that
will stick. After years of watching folder labels fall off when pulled from
boxes, we changed procedures. Presently, with few exceptions, we just
hand-write the information on the folders with a #4 pencil.

Laren Metzer
CA State Archives