Re: Archives in the movies

> Part of the Patriot was filmed in the our county (York, SC).The movie
> people never bothered to use our archives to search for original records
> related to the period in the Carolina Piedmont.  I really didn't expect
> it.

And consider yourself lucky they didn't.  I've been involved in
several film production projects here in our Special Collections dept.-
-and more in my avocation as river historian--and while some of
them have been worthwhile, others--more?--have come close to
being horror stories.  The most famous one here in Utah, which has
attained the status of an urban legend, says that a production
company came in several years ago, checked out books from I
believe the Salt Lake Public to use as background in some scene,
and when they wrapped shooting and left town,  dumped the books
in the trash.   Not to offend anyone on the list who might be in the
industry, but there seems to be an "anything for the production"
mindset among film/documentary/movie producers that allows them
to do unto others as they might not particularly wish to be done unto.
I know we in this business sometimes have an "anything for the
archives" attitude, but we keep it within the family so to speak.
Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library