Re: Movie Madness

>... Take John
>Wayne's portrayal of Genghis Khan in THE CONQUEROR (1956)....

Whence the famous line, "This Tartar woman is for me, and my blood says,
Take her!"  Jack Smith in the L.A. Times said, "History's most improbable
piece of casting unless Mickey Rooney were to play Jesus..."

The film was shot in the desert near St. George, Utah, downwind of the
Nevada nuclear testing grounds.  Wayne, Susan Hayward, Agnes Moorhead, Pedro
Armendariz, other cast and crew members all died of cancer over the next 25
years.  One of the grisliest prices ever paid for a really bad movie...

Misha Schutt
Warner Research Collection