converting old home movies

Michelle:

Several years ago, we completed a film transfer project involving 16 mm home movies transferred to videotape.  The original 16 mm movies were taken during the 1930s and 1940s by one of Monterey's prominent citizens, Vida Jacks, and documented city celebrations, gardens, scenic drives (Big Sur, 17-Mile Drive, etc.) and historic adobe buildings.

A regional television and video film company transferred the 16 mm to VHS.  The transfer to videotape provided researchers with a better avenue for access and use of the collection.  It also helped to protect the original film from damage through use.  However, videotape is not and should not be your archival master.  The original film is the archival copy, in this case.  A backup videotape copy is a good idea for keeping a reference set.  I agree with Paul Eisloeffel's recommendation to check the American Film Institute and other film preservation websites for a list of preservation-oriented laboratories.

Best wishes with the project.

Dennis Copeland
Archivist
California History Room