Re: Movies and archives

  I've been on both sides of this one, too.  And having worked on the musical-comedy version of the Outdoor Hysterical Trauma "Hatfields and McCoys", I can't cast the first stone.  But as an archivist, I've worked with a costumer who was looking for the very authentic, Ken Burns and Linda Ellerbee's companies, who are a joy.  And then there's the documentary producer who changed the permission form to universal and infinite galactic use.  So people is people...and movies is movies...and even more true, directors only want what they want, true or not.  Don't even ask me about the one who wanted Dracula to really fly.  In an outdoor theater....
  I just view it as a pleasant suprise when they get ANYTHING accurate, or even in the spirit. in fictional movies.  I expect more from documentaries, but docs don't make big bucks with big stars.
  As for historical SF, there's billions of time-travel stories, many made into movies (Somewhere in Time, Time Machine, etc) and many old SF tales filmed (always mean to look for Nightfall at the video store). And then there's Battlefield Earth....
   Getting the science right is always risky, who'd have thought 20 years ago that  we'd be using lasers as cat toys?

Susan Knoer
Reference Assistant
Special Collections
University of Louisville