Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 06:33:49 -0500
From: Cynthia Dickinson <c.dickinson@usfamily.net>
To: CT-RIVER-VALLEY-L@rootsweb.com
Subject: [CRV] foriegn travel 1840

 I know this isnt exactly the list to ask these questions, but I"m
thinking someone may know where I could start.

 I have a diary, documents and letters from my family circa 1840.  The
diary is my gr gr gr uncles, Daniel Dickinson which he
 started before he left for Buenos Aires, August 25, 1839.  There is quite
a bit of information regarding this trip--a business
 meeting with President Van Buren two days before Daniel left;  the name
of the ship and Captain who sailed it;  people Daniel
 visited before he left, etc.  After he arrived in Buenos Aires there are
meetings with US consuls ( names stated) and several
 meetings with Juan Manuel de Rosas, Governor ( or dictator of a bloody
regime depending on who you ask) and his prime minister,
 Arana.  I also have invitations written in spanish, letters from
Montevideo, Uruguay that appear to be business letters; a few
private letters from William Earl Dodge...

 Anyway, I want to start tracking down Daniel in Argentina--and I have no
idea where to start..I have questions like what where
 the american business interests in Argentina at that time (one of the
letters from a government official in Argentina appears
 to be thanking Daniel for some business deal made) ; how do I find consul
records from Argentina and the US; how do I find ship
 records out of Baltimore in 1839 and a ship log of one returning from
Buenos Aires ?  (Daniel died enroute back to the United
 States);  where could I find mention of this meeting with Van Buren; I
have Daniel's passport into Montevideo and Buenos
 Aires--would there still be records for this somewhere that might state
why he applied for one?

 I keep thinking this a gold mine of information about my direct line, and
I have information on Daniel's three brothers and
 sister, I know who his parents supposedly are but nothing solid and I
would like solidify it..

Can anyone suggest where I start with this ?

Thanks,

Cynthia Dickinson

Researching Dickinson, Blakeslee, Greene, Curtis, Stowell, Jackson, Jefferies, Dunn, Satterlee, Sayre, Iddings, Seeley and
Parke   CT MA VT PA NY

------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - $7.99/mo! ------

http://www.acpl.lib.in.us  [large genealogy library in Indiana]
http://www.quadrangle.org  (genealogical lib for Conn River area)