advice on recruiting younger & minority "friends"?

The South Caroliniana Library is a special collections library at the University of South Carolina that focuses on South Carolina-related historical material.  The University South Caroliniana Society is a private non-profit support organization for the Library.

We would like to increase the number of young and minority members in the Society.  I'd like to get some recruiting advice from any similar institutions - special collections libraries, archives, museums - on attracting and keeping younger (college age and up) and minority members.

If you prefer, you can reply to me off the listserv at:
westec@gwm.sc.edu.

Elizabeth Cassidy West
University of South Carolina Archives
South Caroliniana Library
USC
Columbia, SC 29208
(803) 777-5158
(803) 777-5747 (fax)

"There is nothing with which it is so dangerous to take
liberties as liberty itself."
Andre Breton