Re: Harry Potter

It's true...finally an wide appeal appreciation for a book!  Who knows maybe one of us will archive this book someday!

Shirley Derrick, MLIS
Assistant Records and Information Manager
Briggs & Stratton Corporation
Milwaukee, WI

>>> skugeare@LIB.USF.EDU 07/10/00 02:12PM >>>
Hi Dean, I truly understand your point.  I haven't bought my copy yet,
be/c I have misplaced my copy of the first book and never did finish
reading it.  I wanted to read them in order.

Yes, this is really a lovely phenomenon.  I'm and English teacher, and
it makes my hear leap to see people, young and old, reading.  Just
reading.  It took s/thing like this.  I think, you're right, it;s really
an individual experience, but have you noticed that kids like the sense
of community in trading cards (ugh! Pokemon!), and clothing fads.  Well,
grownups, too, like to share reading experiences.  Witness: The sudden
proliferation of book discussion groups.  I personally am so gratified
by this phenomenon that I can't even articulate my thoughts on it.
Kids reading and discussing books like adults.  Adults reading and
enjoying a book on a purely childlike level, and best of all, parents
and kids being able to discuss the same book.  It's a miracle!

Non-archival or not, thanks for sharing.

Sophia Kugeares
Tampa, FL

Dean DeBolt wrote:

> This is truly a non-archival posting so just delete if you're
> not interested.     After getting my new Harry Potter book
> at 12:20 a.m. at the local Barnes and Noble Friday night,
> or Saturday morning....someone asked me what the fas-
> cination was about.    I tried to explain that writing and
> literature is like everything else, an individual experience,
> you have to read, listen, or watch and make your own
> judgement.   But today there's an interesting story link
> here for a Time editor trying to explain the same thing:
>
> http://www.time.com/time/daily/0,2960,49369-101000707,00.html
>
> Dean
>
> Dean DeBolt
> University Librarian
> Special Collections and West Florida Archives
> John C. Pace Library
> University of West Florida
> 11000 University Parkway
> Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
> Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338

Sophia Manoulian Kugeares
University of South Florida
Office of Library Development
4202 E. Fowler Avenue LIB 122