Re: Accessibility of Oral History Collections

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2000 2:01 PM
Subject: Accessibility of Oral History Collections

Re: A Study of the Accessibility of Archival Oral History Collections

July 16, 2000

Dear Archivist:

I am a graduate student in the School of Library and Information Science at Kent State University. As part of the requirements for my master's degree I am conducting a study about the accessibility of archival oral history collections. The following questionnaire elicits information that will help me discern the current level of accessibility of oral history materials. This information will be useful to both theorists and practitioners in the field of library and information science.

Confidentiality and anonymity are guarenteed, you do not need to include your name on individual questionnaires and only the investigator has access to the survey data. There is no penalty of any kind should you choose not to participate in the study or if you withdraw from participation at any time. While your cooperation is essential to the success of this study, it is, of course, voluntary. A copy of the results of this study will be available upon request.

If you have any further questions, please contact me at (330)384-9434 or my research advisor Dr. Don Wicks at (330) 672-2782. If you have any further questions regarding research at Kent State University you may contact Dr. Walter C. Adams at (330)672-3012.

Thank you very much for your cooperation; it is much appreciated! You may return the questionnaire to me at the following e-mail address dford@slis.kent.edu

Sincerely,

Dianna Ford
Graduate Student

A STUDY OF THE ACCESSIBILITY OF ARCHIVAL ORAL HISTORY COLLECTIONS

1. Does your organization collect oral history material?
_X___ Yes
____ No

2. When did your organization begin collecting oral histories?
__1989__________

3. Does your organization create oral history material?
_X___ Yes
____ No

4. Does your organization create indexes for oral history material?
____ Yes
_X___ No

5. Does your organization catalog oral history material?
_X___ Yes
____ No

6. The oral history collections are reported to:
__ (a) The National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections
__ (b) Data base(s) (please specify) ________________________
__ (c) State reporting agency for oral history
__ (d) All of the above
X__ (e) None of the above
__ (f) Other (please specify) ______________________________

7. Usually, interviews are:
_X_ (a) Fully transcribed
__ (b) Partially transcribed
__ (c) Not transcribed

8. Cataloging or indexing of oral history materials include access points for (specify all that apply) :
__ (a) Title of the oral history project
__ (b) Name of the interviewer
__ (c) Name of the interviewee
__ (d) Subject

9. Any additional comments you would like to add:_I have had an intern and one of my volunteers do a few oral histories of prominent members of our organisation.  I depended on them to transcribe their interviews.  One was never transcribed.  I had done a volunteer oral history project for the Columbus Symphony Orchestra a few years back.  I transcribed the interviews and turned the tapes and transcriptions over to the CSO.  I don't think they ever used the material or made it accessible.________________

Don't forget to send your responses to me at: dford@slis.kent.edu
Thank you for your participation, it is greatly appreciated!