Re: MCPHU questions

BrianJ. wrote:

> We here at the Archives and Special Collections at MCPHahnemann Univ.
> have several questions concerning items found in our archives...
>
>     The second question is, we have a number of half tone etched
> printing plates nailed to one inch block of wood. Does anyone out there
> know how or have access to a machine that can print these items.

Brian,In the past, I have had good luck making prints off of these print
block without any "machine."  A few supplies from any art supply store will
do.  All you need is is a tube of printers ink (the type used for linoleum
prints, etc.) and a brayer  (a small roller used for inking type, etc. by
hand).  Squirt some of the ink from the tube onto a plate of glass--an old
mirror works well for this--and roll the brayer around over it till the ink
is spread evenly on the glass and the brayer.  Then ink the plate you want
to print by rolling the brayer with the ink on it over plate, making sure
the whole surface is covered with ink.  Turn the print block over and press
it face down onto a piece of paper.  If you have a book press you it can
also use one of them as an old-fashioned printing press using the same
process.

Good luck,
Albin Wagner
.
begin:          vcard
fn:             Albin Wagner, CA, CRM
n:              Wagner, CA, CRM;Albin
org:            New Jersey Division of Archives and Records Management
adr:            2300 Stuyvesant Ave.;;;Trenton;NJ;08618;USA
email;internet: awagner@darm.sos.state.nj.us
title:          Chief, Bureau of Records Management
tel;work:       609-530-3204
tel;fax:        609-530-6121
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE