Re: card board "printing plates"

These are called mats (from matrix). According to my desk dictionary: the
intaglio, usually of papier-mache, impressed from type or a cut [i.e.,
illustration], from which a stereotype plate is cast.

These were used to cheaply distribute illustrations, which were then
created in hot metal in each shop for printing. The product was often
nailed onto a piece of wood type-high whereby it became what this question
started out with.

   ---Terry

Terry Abraham   Special Collections, University of Idaho
<http://www.lib.uidaho.edu/special-collections/>