Re: Logging vs shotlisting video tapes

Hi Bill,

While some may consider this a matter of semantic interpretation, I look at
it this way:  A "log" is a consecutive list of the subject matter on a film,
videotape or audio recording and where it occurs (for example,
"0:23:05-1:03:32 -- Discussion of interviewee's role in local Civil Defense
activities"), while a "shotlist" is specific to moving images (film or
video) and is a consecutive scene-by-scene list of visual and audio content
and where it occurs ("1:37:03 -- Close up: Senator Bullbleep at podium.
Audio: answers question about infidelity").  As you can see, the shotlist is
more detailed than the log, and is particularly useful to media producers
looking for that certain special shot.  The terms for type of shot, close
up, long shot, pan, etc.) is often abbreviated (CU, LS, PN), but there is
little standard.  I've come up with a shot type abbreviation list for our
purposes here, compiled from several sources, that I'd be happy to share.
Format, of course, is not standard either; do what seems best for you.  Hope
this helps!

-Paul

Paul J. Eisloeffel
Curator of Manuscripts and Audio-Visual Collections
Nebraska State Historical Society
P.O. Box 82554
Lincoln, NE 68501
(402) 471-4750