Re: glass slides

I have replied to Beppy Brown....our institution is not really a
suitable repository for his collection ... but as a historian of
the American Chautauqua Movement and specifically the
Florida Chautauqua,  Mr. Brown's collection matches exactly
what occurred during the early years, 1874-1900 of the
Chautauqua.    Often the evening lecture was a glass lantern
slide show, oftentimes outdoors, which was a travelogue.
Since the Chautauqua fostered the creation of the Temperance
Movement, and since the heart of the Chautauqua was Sunday
School training for teachers and ministers....it was quite common
to hire lecturers that could teach appropriate classes and offer
the evening lecture.    At the Florida Chautauqua in 1885, for
example, you could view and hear evening lectures on
"English Cathedrals and Abbeys," "The Land of Robert Burns"
"Around the World in Eighty Minutes" and from the "Tops of
the Great Pyramids to the Heights of the Himalayas."

At some point, I would like to get modern slides of a couple
of these lectures with scripts to use as examples when I
lecture, or perhaps during our revival of the Florida Chautauqua
Assembly which we hold in DeFuniak Springs, Florida during
the last weekend of February.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338