Re: New Yorker Article

Cynthia wrote:

I'm happy that
> libraries
> discard books periodically.....I could never afford to purchase new
> the many
> perfectly usable reference books that I have collected this way over
> the
> years.  They come in handy for writing historical articles and other
> types
> of research.  I daresay many local history museum/archives have also
> snared
> reference material this way, too.

I agree. I purchase cheap library copies for my historical research. I
recommend them to students and readers of family history for obscure
topics such as a book on the history of an obsolete fraternal order that
on'es ancestor joined. Many of the books that end up in used bookstores
with high prices on them started as withdrawn library books.

Kathy Sturdevant, historian