Re: finding aids for genealogy collections

Hi Folks,

As a genealogist for 21 years and a genealogical research instructor since
1981,
I have spent almost half my life organizing genealogy.

I keep a notebook for each family name.  I use different colors for easy
identification.
I started with paper notebooks, but quickly outgrew those.  In each notebook,
I have
sections for pedigree charts, research logs, family group sheets, photos, and
original
documents and maps.  I use acid free mylar page protectors, because my
collection
is meant to be shared as well as stored.  I keep the notebooks in
alphabetical order.

I also have a set of "how to" notebooks for each locality I am interested in,
as my
ancestors hail from several European countries and several states.

I drew up a huge lifelike tree for my husband's  branch of the family and
hung it over the sofa.
Each of over 300 family members is listed on the appropriate branch in
chronological order.
This is a descending tree, so it spreads quicker than a pedigree tree.

Most of my information has been entered in to Family Tree Maker in the past
ten
years so that I can print out trees, charts, etc.  I also use Powerpoint to
make scrapbook
pages with photos and documents I have scanned, so I can tell the family
story.
Then, to save publication costs, I write the story of each family on a web
page and
link to other generations, including pictures and maps.  I also write a
character sketch
of ancestors I know a lot about, synthesizing the info I find into a
chronological life story
from the ancestors point of view.  Mostly I have done this with female
ancestors, and
thus contribute to the history of women by using them as examples of everyday
people
and how they immigrated, raised families, etc.

You can access my online genealogy tutorial at::

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/centans/genguide.html

You can access my online family history at:

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/centans/famhist.html

Sharon Centanne
Genealogical Research Instructor and Webpage Designer