Accessibility of Archival Oral History Collections

I would like to thank all of you who have responded to my questionnaire - your cooperation is greatly appreciated! For those of you who may have missed the questionnaire the first time, here it is again. It is a short questionnaire and should only take a minute or two to complete, however the responses will be very valuable to my study. When you have completed the questionnaire, please send it to Dianna Ford at dford@slis.kent.edu

A STUDY OF THE ACCESSIBILITY OF ARCHIVAL ORAL HISTORY COLLECTIONS

1. Does your organization collect oral history material?
___ Yes
___ No

2. When did your organization begin collecting oral histories?
_________________

3. Does your organization create oral history material?
___ Yes
___ No

4. Does your organization create indexes for oral history material?
___ Yes
___ No

5. Does your organization catalog oral history material?
___ Yes
___ No

6. The oral history collections are reported to:
___ (a) The National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections
___ (b) Data Base(s) (please specify)_____________________
___ (c) State reporting agency for oral history.
___ (d) All of the above.
___ (e) None of the above.
___ (f) Other (please specify)____________________________

7. Usually, interviews are:
___ (a) Fully transcribed.
___ (b) Partially transcribed.
___ (c) Not transcribed.

8. Cataloging or indexing of oral history materials includes access points for (specify all that apply):
___ (a) Title of oral history project.
___ (b) Name of interviewer.
___ (c) Name of interviewee.
___ (d) Subject.
___ (e) Other (please specify)____________________________

9. Any additional comments you would like to add:_________________

Thank you for your cooperation with this study! Don't forget to send your responses to me at dford.slis.kent.edu

Re: A Study of the Accessibility of Archival Oral History Collections

July 23, 2000

Dear Archivist:

I am a graduate student in the School of Library and Information Science at Kent State University. As part of the requirements for my master's degree I am conducting a study about the accessibility of archival oral history collections. The following questionnaire elicits information that will help me discern the current level of accessibility of oral history materials. This information will be useful to both theorists and practitioners in the field of library and information science.

Confidentiality and anonymity are guaranteed, you do not need to include your name on individual questionnaires and only the investigator has access to your survey data. There is no penalty of any kind should you choose not to participate in the study or if you withdraw from participation at any time. While your cooperation is essential to the success of this study, it is, of course, voluntary. A copy of the results of the study will be available upon request.

If you have any further questions, please contact me at (330) 384-9434 or my research advisor Dr. Don Wicks at (330) 672-2782. If you have any further questions regarding research at Kent State University you may contact Dr. Walter C. Adams at (330) 672-3012.

Thank you very much for your cooperation; it is much appreciated! You may return the questionnaire to me at the following e-mail address dford@slis.kent.edu.

Sincerely,

Dianna Ford
Graduate Student