Diana, Princess of Wales, Burial Place

I recently visited Althorp, where Princess Diana is buried. The area where
childhood memorabilia, dresses (including her wedding gown), and other
artifacts are viewed is stables which have been renovated to accomodate,
nicely, I might add, these things. One area shows childhood toys, crayon
drawings to Mummy, that sort of thing. Another shows memorabilia from the
teen years. Overhead videos supplement these items, and one can walk through
at one's own pace. In another stable, along one side, are numerous
suits/dresses she wore, along with photos of her wearing these exact items
at various functions. The mannequins seem to be (although I know virtually
nothing about mannequins except what their function is) of her size/stature,
as the garments seem to fit perfectly. I just squeak in as a tall petite,
and she was taller than in. That display is very well done. Across, on the
other side of this stable, is her wedding dress, with a shorter train than I
recall. Behind Plexiglas, as are all the artifacts, the wedding gown can be
actually viewed quite closely. It is gorgeous. I suspect the tiara is a
fake(?), as I cannot see the risk of putting out the real one. There is some
video of the wedding, etc. However, in general, one sees little of Prince
Charles in the videos. Mostly it's happy times with the children in these
videos. Another building covers the funeral, and probably not a dry eye
comes out of there. It is tastefully done, all things considered.  Of
interest to archvists is the vast collection of books either presented to
her from various countries/governments on her official visits, as well as
the memorial books, from around the world, signed by those expressing their
condolences. These items are attractively displayed in a vast glass case
when one comes out of the funeral area.   I suspect that is all
temperature-contolled, etc. Everything seems to be top-notch there as to
display cases, videos, arrangement, wheelchair accessibility, etc. The oval
is within easy walking distance, and a walkway circles the lake. A memorial
wall and bench are on the far side, and many fresh flowers lay in orderly
fashion in front. The house is open to the public, and is well furnished
with antiques, paintings, and a large library.  It is well worth seeing.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library
100 Kindel Drive, Suite C212