Re: PRICES FOR ORAL HISTORY VIDEO EQUIPMENT

Jill,

Sorry I don't have price quotes for you, but I can make some qualitative
suggestions. Super VHS or Sony Hi8 are recommended. These take special
tapes. A zoom lens should have at least 8:1 ratio. A boom or lavaliere
mike are better than the machine's built-in mike. You want ports on the
camera so that you can plug in an external monitor and earphones to
monitor as you film. Perhaps you can get the best prices at an
electronics discount outlet store, such as Circuit City, although I don't
know which chains you have in Oklahoma. Many oral history projects rent
equipment to get the best, because the best is expensive.

I am curious: what does your title "Provincial Archivist" mean?

Kathy Sturdevant, historian