Digital photojournalism

newsprint preservation, I received the following:

Some of my print news photographer brethren are decrying the
lack of archivability of digital photojournalism. After they
have shot a couple of hundred photos on a disk, its content has
to be dumped to a hard drive so that it can be rewritten. The
necessary file size makes it impractical to save every photo,
hence many incidental shots get erased. A newspaper photog said
that every D.C. print photog, save one, who shot Clinton hugging
Monica Lewinsky was shooting digitally. The sole film photog had
a negative that was retrievable when the news of the president's
dalliances came to light. The digital shots of them had all long
since been erased.

So, aside from the apocryphal nature of this story (and I have no idea if
it's true or not), it does bring up the question:

Is most professional photojournalism today digital photography?  Or is it
still film?  And if digital, is it true that most of it is being disposed of?

Thanks,

Jeff Joseph
SabuCat Production
http://www.sabucat.com