Re: Small Collections

We create a record for each collection - but data entry is pretty
quick in our system (it's not a MARC system) so it is not an onerous
task, though it is of course more time consuming than not doing an
individual entry! Often these small collections contain real
treasures - a significant letter, an attractive certificate, an
interesting pay-slip, a precious rare publication such as a program
(which we decide to keep in the collection and not in the library)
etc.

We, like most of you, have a large backlog so those collections,
small or large, which get 'catalogued' are done on a priority basis
(based on issues we've talked about before such as likely demand,
significance of donor, fragility/rarity of material, ease of
cataloguing etc).

Cheers, Sue

  Sue Terry                      __  /\
                                /  \/  \     Manager, Documentation Development
   +61  2 6248 2180 (w)        /        \    Collections Branch
   +61  2 6286 8336 (h)       /         /    ScreenSound Australia
   +61  2 6248 2165 (fax)     \   __  */     Canberra ACT 2600
                               `-'  \_/
  sueterry@screensound.gov.au

'The secret of survival is to embrace change, and to adapt' (Rohinton Mistry)