Re-Posting: SD State Archivist opening

To the List:

At the Request of LaVera Rose at the South Dakota State Historical Society,
I am re-posting this job opening for State Archivist to the list.  For more
information, please use the contact information provided in the posting.

Regards,
Amy Cooper
Archivist/Special Collections Librarian
I. D. Weeks Library
University of south Dakota

>> Please excuse cross postings and forward this announcement to other
>> lists/individuals you feel appropriate.
>>

>> STATE ARCHIVIST
>> South Dakota State Historical Society/Office of History
>> Department of Education and Cultural Affairs
>> Pierre, South Dakota
>>
>> Description of Position:  The state archivist is a program director
within the South Dakota State Historical Society/Office of History,
Department of  Education and Cultural Affairs.  As a program director, the
state archivist administers the archives program (state archives) and is
the official custodian of the archival resources of the state as set forth
in South Dakota Codified Laws Chapter 1-18C.  The director manages
administrative and programmatic functions for the state archives and
provides leadership within the statewide archival community.

>> Qualifications:  The state archivist requires advanced knowledge of
>> archival procedures and methods, American history with emphasis on
western history preferred, and the acquisition, care, and preservation of
archival  records, library materials, and microfilm.  An advanced degree in
history,  public administration, library science, or related field with
degree emphasis on archival training preferred.  The program director must
have the ability to manage successfully a small team of employees to
collect, preserve, and interpret efficiently and effectively the history of
South Dakota through an archival program; provide outstanding customer
service to public and governmental patrons; and  participate in a State
Historical Society (state agency) environment with archaeological, historic
preservation, museum, and research and publishing programs.  Excellent
communication skills and top-notch organizational abilities are important
for this position.  Five years experience in archival services, two years
of which are management practice.  An Academy of Certified Archivists
certification is preferred.

>> Comments:  The archives contains the official state records as well as
extensive map, manuscript, photograph, and state census/genealogy
collections.  In addition, the archives includes a non-lending library on
Upper Great Plains and South Dakota materials.  The archives provides a
public research/reference room and cooperates with the other State
Historical Society/Office of History program directors to make available
and use the archival and library materials for exhibits, research, and
publications.  The archives also operates a microfilm unit at the Mike
Durfee State Prison in Springfield, SD.  This is an E17 salaried position
and is exempt from the Career Service Act.