Pretty In Pink

As for the bulk of the discussion about The Suit in Question, who cares?

The original post was trying to locate the clothing and was responded to
with the comment that, according to the History Channel (that font of
knowledge of last resort), it was in the National Archives but not
available for viewing. And suddenly, the bulk of traffic today is
expressing outrage over an institution alleged to hold an artifact that
can't be viewed by the taxpayers.

HELLLLLLOOOOO?!?!?! Has anyone thought to at least VERIFY any of this?
DOES the National Archives actually have the dress? Has anyone received
a definitive answer? If so, has anyone received a definitive answer as
to the policies governing the deposit of said artifact?

Come on, people, is the heat getting so bad that we are all jumping to
conclusions and ranting about why someone stores something that can't be
viewed, blah, blah, blah...

Additional comments:

Unless someone can provide additional facts (Hello, Henry Ford Museum &
Greenfield Village! Come in, please...), the "Lincoln chair" at the
Henry Ford Museum was to have been submitted for analysis back in 1998.
There was considerable concern at the time because the chairs covering
was in extremely poor condition and testing might well have been
inconclusive. I admit I haven't seen any follow-up (but then I HAVE seen
the multiple vials containing Edisons's last breath...8-)...he sure must
have exhaled a lot at the end), but I would hesitate to describe the
"blood" as a "well-known hoax."

The Kennedy limo is the limo in which Kennedy was shot, in name only.
The vehicle underwent considerable repair and alterations after the
assassination and was in use at least through Johnson's term of office.
So it is NOT in the original state of condition of that day in November.
Sorry, no bullet holes or bits of bone to be seen. Lots of oil dripping
on those wooden floors of the Museum,though...

But I guess we'd rather be spending time in sheer guesswork, eh?

How many institutions out there have materials in their collections that
have restrictions on them? How many of you have donors from whom you
have accepted gifts as much out of courtesy as out of desire to have
them in your collection?

Harumph. At least it's Thursday and tomorrow this sort of thing is to be
expected.

--
Dennis Moser, MILS, Web Librarian / dennism@library.tmc.edu
John P. McGovern Historical Collections & Research Center