Artifacts and historical perspective

I, also, am enjoying the exchange regarding Jackie's suit.  [I won't
mention the color word if I can help it].  What I find fascinating is
the fact that the event and the personalities involved are so vivid to
some of us, and yet the mystique continues to grow, to the extent that
our own very personal recollections can be and in some cases are being
altered with each new "wave" of information that surfaces.

I research ancient and medieval topics from the (dis-ad) vantage point
of the 20th century, and I often wonder how much of what we consider
historical fact, is actually the product of emotionalism and re-thinking
and re-examining real events.  What information has been "loaded" on to
artifacts?

The movement of artifacts is one aspect of the historical record.  The
relics of St. James of Campostela is one example of the "translation" of
sacred relics that changed the economic, political, social and religious
face of Europe.  His headless body is in Campostela, while the head is
in the ARmenian Monastery in Jerusalem.  Friends of mine have visited
both places and say that the Campostela  remains has a head.  There are
probably thousands of other such artifacts / relics that have rolled
through history and geography and gathered their own embelished lives.

The making of a "relic" or artifact of a common item is endlessly
fascinating.

Maybe this is what's destined to happen to Jackie's suit; or, to other
such common items.   Maybe we're witnessing the "making of an artifact"
right before our eyes.  To our grandchildren, the intirgue will be
greater.

Many of us came of age with the Kennedys -- the family, the political
history and yes, even the celebrity media hype.  Yet.....isn't it great
to be a part of history, even if we were just onlookers.

I'm fascinated with the comments of those who have had direct contact
with the people and artifacts at some time in their lives.  I recently
viewed the John F. Kennedy Exhibit at the Florida International Museum,
in St. Petersburg, FL [and I realize that this will open the way for
critiques of the FIM and it's purpose; sorry in advance, about that if
it's a sore spot for anyone], and it brought back a lot of memories, and
allowed me to see some aspects of the President and the White House and
the family that I wouldn't have known otherwise.  But that's as close as
I've personally been to real Kennedy artifacts.

This awareness heightens my own sense of awe when I visit ancient or
medieval shrines or churches or museums and view artifacts that are so
loaded with their own histories.

Yes, I agree with those who have commented on Jackie's sense of history
and destiny.  Not just with the blood stains on the suit, but with every
aspect of her life as First Lady.  She was a rare and intelligent person
of highly developed taste.  Her sense of preservation was an asset to
American history and culture that few are aware of, but one anyone
interested in preservation should be.

Sophia Manoulian Kugeares
University of South Florida
Office of Library Development