Re: Thermal Transfer Labels

Chip,
We use an Intermec 4100 to print labels for our boxes and shelf locations in our
storage center.  Because we also use this to print out pick labels it prints two
labels in parallel that are each 2"x4".  Adhesion to shelving and boxes is quite
good and so is scanability and stability.  Don't see any changes in labels +5 to
+10 years old.  Nothing "archival" about them.  Archival and self-adhesive are
(is) an oxymoron.  Dick King

"Larkin,Chip (Vincent) - LGA" wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with thermal transfer printed labels?   We are
> considering these type of labels for item and shelf location barcodes, but
> before using them want to make sure that they are archivally safe and have a
> high degree of permanence.  Also, is there a difference between paper and
> polypropylene labels in terms of wear, smudging, etc.  Any recommendations
> on brand of thermal printer or vendors for the label stock would be welcome
> as well (haven't seen to many polypropylene labels in the standard archival
> supply catalogs).  Thanks
>
> Chip
>
> ___________
> Chip Larkin
> Archivist/Collection Development
> AT&T Archives
> 5 Reinman Road
> Warren, NJ 07059
> Ph:  908-226-2396
> Fax:  908-756-2105
> Email:  vlarkin@lga.att.com

begin:vcard
n:;
tel;cell:520.419.6577
tel;fax:520.889.5660
tel;work:520.889.5666
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Arizona;Records Management and Archives
version:2.1
email;internet:kingr@u.arizona.edu
title:Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;University of Arizona=0D=0ARecords Management and Archives,=0D=0A250 E. Valencia Road=0D=0A;Tucson;AZ;85706;USA
end:vcard