Re: Thermal Transfer Labels

Thank you to all who responded to my inquiry about thermal transfer labels!
I've gotten a lot of good information.  The conclusion that I've come to is
that thermal labels can be acceptable and long lasting if you choose the
right label stock and thermal ink.  This is going on the assumption that one
is not attaching any self adhesive labels directly on archival material.

One of the most helpful sources that was recommended was the Library of
Congress, Preservation Research and Testing Division.  I would suggest that
anyone considering using thermal transfer labels (for bar-coding or other
uses) contact Michele Youket of LC at 202-707-1792 or email at myou@loc.gov.
She was able to provide specifications for the type of label stock,
adhesive, and thermal transfer ribbon based on the  specifics of our
application.

Chip
Chip Larkin
Archivist/Collection Development