Re: Education for Future Reference Archivist

Alexandria, I can only speak from my personal experience. I worked as a
reference archivist at the Massachusetts State Archives from 1986-1998. It
is important to state quickly that the state archives is divided into three
distinct areas - processing, records management, and reference. Each area
has a staff that does not really participate in the activities of the other
two areas. So a reference archivist on staff here is basically a full time
reference person. I make this distinction because in some repositories a
staff person participates in all three functions.

If full time reference work is your interest then these are the aptitudes
and attitudes of what I personally think makes a great reference person.

First of all, the most important trait is a true desire to work with the
public, and I mean the public - eight to eighty, blue collar or white
collar, student or scholar - regardless of gender or ethnicity, tattooed or
pierced, etc. I think you get the picture.

A second trait is the ability to perform multi-tasks and look like you enjoy
doing them, which you are - registering patrons, answering the phone,
unraveling microfilm, taking pens or food away from researchers in the
reading room, making photocopies, taking orders for reproductions, opening
lockers when patrons lose keys, explaining the finding aids - and then the
school group shows up, or someone new to genealogy and wants to know where
to begin.... on and on, and on.

Third, and hardest of all, a wellspring of patience and interest when
dealing with patrons in person or on the telephone. This is extremely
difficult when you personally are having a bad day or not feeling well.

When I left the reference desk at the state archives we were a staff of
four. None of the staff had an education background in library science or
archives. I have a masters in teaching social studies, two staff members
have bachelor degrees in history, and one a associates degree (but is a
professional genealogist). But each one them brings the above mentioned
talents, in addition to personal historical interests and expertise to the
position.

These traits or experiences are not learned in a classroom - reference work
allows people the opportunity to incorporate their life experiences and
interests into the position.

I like to regard reference work as the crucible of the institution. When
everything else is said and done, when all the accessioning, processing,
finding aids, security, and preservation are done (is it really ever done?)
- the reference desk is the place where the rubber meets road - access to
information, in a professional, safe and dignified way.

A reference archivist must be a person of service to others. An odd thing
about reference work though, you always know if your doing a good job
because almost all of the appreciation you will receive will come from those
you help.

Oh well, Friday ramblings.

/Bill

Bill Milhomme