Re: In Search of the Humourous Archivist

There was a Dilbert cartoon a while back where Dilbert took some materials to the archivist and asked him to store them. As soon as Dilbert was gone, the archivist put them in the trash can, and said something like, "My job became so much easier once I learned that no one ever asked for things back."

As a big fan of the "Peanuts" comics, when I see Charles Schultz's name as the sender of an e-mail, I tend to expect humror, and then remember he's another Charles Schultz. But as he pointed out in his joke about archivists' heaven, many jokes can be rewritten to apply to archivists. The ones that are easiest to change are those originally written for librarians; in fact, many of these can apply to archivists without changing anything except the word "librarian."

Here are a couple of web sites with librarian/archives humor:

Humor and Culture in Libraries (links):
http://www.mel.org/libraries/LIBS-humor.html

Job humor--libraries
http://dir.yahoo.com/reference/libraries/professional_resources/job_humor/

Library Humor: A Pathfinder
http://pw1.netcom.com/~dplourde/humor.html

Library Jokes:
http://www.libraryspot.com/libjokes.htm

Libraries Change Lives (and other Library songs)
http://www2.njstatelib.org/njlib/liblivwd.htm

Fun for Bookwords
http://www2.njstatelib.org/njlib/lbhumtoc.htm

Librarian humor
http://www.lisnews.com/Librarian_Humor.php3

The Fictional World of Archives, Art Galleries, and Museums
http://www.victoria.tc.ca/~mattison/ficarch/index.htm#fic-archivists

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

(note change of address as of May 2000)