Re: Need a Little Help

One institution for which I used to work created a transparency with the word "copyright" running diagonally across the page.  Whenever we made copies for researchers, we placed the transparency directly upon the copier glass and then placed the document to be copied on top of it.  It worked pretty well.  However, sometimes prolonged continuous use of the transparency would cause static electricity to build up--a real problem when copying onionskin or brittle paper, and probably detrimental to the copier as well.  Having an anti-static touch pad nearby would probably be a help (I would be hesitant to use anti-static fluid on a copier used to reproduce archival documents).

If you decide to adopt this strategy, make sure that the letters on the transparency don't reduce the readability of the copies.  The letters on ours consisted of a simple outline with no fill; if you use a recent version of Word or WordPerfect, the embossed-look format may produce the desired results.

Bonita L. Weddle
Documentary Heritage Services
New York State Archives
9C71 Cultural Education Center