From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU]On
Behalf Of Sapon-White, Richard
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 3:30 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Need help identifying original manuscript relating to wreck of
th e Bawnmore, 1895

I am seeking help locating the original of, and identifying the authorship
of, an item I am cataloging.  What I have is a photocopy of a typescript
account of the salvage of the Bawnmore, a British steamer that ran aground
just off Floras Lake, Curry County, Oregon, in 1895.  The account was
evidently written by a timber company engineer/surveyor some years after the
wreck.  The photocopy is actually pages 112 to 137 of the typescript.

The document I have is quoted (but not cited) in Patrick Masterson's book
Port Orford: A History (p. 115-116), so he must have read the original or
another copy.  Unfortunately, Mr. Masterson is deceased.  I also found
information taken from this account in Shipwrecks and Rescues on the
Northwest Coast by Bert Webber, but Mr. Webber claims his information came
from newspaper accounts of the wreck.  I have also been in touch with the
Curry County Historical Society, but they referred me to newspaper accounts
as well.  I don't think newspapers would have been the source of what is
evidently a memoir written years after the wreck and other events.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me track down the original or
identify the author, or make suggestions as to my next step.  Thank you.

Richard E. Sapon-White
Catalog Librarian
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University