Re: Scrape Book Preservation (?)

I have an interesting question for preservationists on this list
which I was reminded of in the posting on the scrapbook.   I
see frequently references to "put this in an acid-free folder"
or "put this in an acid-free box" in response to questions about
fragile or deteriorating materials.

It is my understanding (and I do this as normal archival practice)
that placing materials in acid-free containers is a preventative
measure against further harm of acid-migration.  And here's
my question....to my knowledge, this does NOTHING for the
original item--the acid-free folder or box does not absorb acidity
from the item, nor does it affect the stored item.   Is that correct?

I am frequently seeing that I consider an "urban legend" that
placing an acidic and deteriorating item into an acid-free folder,
or box, or in "creative scrapbooking" pasting it with acid-free
glue onto an acid-free paper...that all of these somehow
preserve the item.    My training was that these were preventa-
tive measures, stopping further harm, providing some safe
storage ... not that these practices somehow preserved the
item from further decay.   Am I right or wrong?

By the way, I do know that the Conservation Resources
microchamber materials will absorb off-gassing and some
acidity...so I'm not speaking of these materials.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338