Re: CALL FOR PAPERS

Brian:

I saved this notice as a "tickler" despite the fact that I could not
complete a paper for which I've been assembling material for several years.
I've just re-entered college (for transfer units to university) after a
20-year absence working in the museums and history field sans degrees, so
have a lot on my plate. Maybe next year?

        In short, I'd love to have the opportunity to present (somewhere) :
FLEET WHEELED WONDER: New York Central & Hudson River
        Railroad's Locomotive No.999 and the Empire State Express of 1893.
The paper is more than a review of mechanical/industrial
        historr -- rather, it examines the four principal characters
involved behind the "record-breaking" run of No.999 from Albany,
        specifically the NYC&HR's promotions chief, the engine's
designer/builder, and certainly the brave crewmen who fired and ran
        the locomotive well past sensible speed(s) ...all for the sake of
headlines. Also included are how and why the stunt was furthered
        via the locomotive's exhibition at the World's Columbian Exposition.

        Your reply or any advice would be appreciated.

        Thanks!

        Kevin V. Bunker
        Student Assistant
        California State Archives