cataloging manuscripts

We catalog our manuscripts, using the MARC format, into Yale's integrated
online catalog.  I have two questions concerning the relationship between
book records and manuscript records.

First: how do you handle manuscripts that are tipped into books - often a
letter, a poem. Do you catalog the manuscript item separately, or rely on
the book record to describe the manuscript?

Second: for printed material that is kept in a manuscript collection, but
that you want to catalog separately, what kind of information do you put in
the book record to link it to the manuscript record for the collection?

Thank you,

Diana Smith
Archivist
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Yale University