Re: cataloging manuscripts

Pardon an answer to the list, but other folks may want to comment.  I'd make
a decision on how to catalog a mss. tipped into a book depending on the
book, the content of the mss., and the relationship between the two.  If you
feel users will be interested in the mss. in and of itself, you can create a
separate record and link it back to the book record.  Otherwise you can
simply describe it in a 500 note field in the book record; I'd begin the
note "Tipped in:" or some such phrase, and add any useful access points
(author/recipient of the letter, topic, etc.) to the book cataloging.  If
it's important enough to have a separate record, I'd make one for it in
mixed materials format and link it back using the 580/773 fields.

As for the opposite--printed materials in a mss. collection--I'd create a
separate books format record, use the 580/773 fields to do a "Contained in"
or "Forms part of" note and link it back to the mss. collection.  You can
also add a 500 note to the effect that this item has been cataloged out
separately for imporved access.  Obviously, you'll want to include the
printed materials in your collection guide and scope and content note in the
main cataloging record, and possibly some access points, depending on how
your catalog is structured.  If you want some OCLC numbers for examples, let
me know off-list.  The 580/773 linking fields are really useful in these
situations.  Good luck!

Sally Childs-Helton, Ph.D.
Special Collections/Rare Books Librarian
Butler University Libraries
4600 Sunset Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46208
317-940-9265/Fax 371-940-8039