NFACEpresentations at SAA

Those of you who are attending SAA will have several opportunities to hear
more about the results of the National Forum on Archival Continuing
Education (NFACE) and the recommendations contained in the NFACE Action
Agenda.

Several members of the NFACE Program Committee, including Kathleen Roe who
was the NFACE chair, Danna Bell-Russel, and Maureen Melton, are lined up to
make presentations about NFACE and its Action Agenda to several groups: the
Committee on Education and Professional Development, the RLIN Users Group,
the Museum Archives Roundtable, and the Archivists of Religious Collections
Section.  There will also be a meeting for education reps from regional and
state archival associations on Thursday, August 31 from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
I am providing details on that meeting in a separate message to the
listserv.  There are probably other presentations that I'm not aware of, so
keep your ears open and you'll hear more.

If you won't be at SAA or just want to learn more about the project before
you go, I encourage you to visit the COSHRC Web site where you'll find a
number of new items posted as NFACE conference follow-ups and/or in response
to NFACE recommendations.
They include
-- Summary of the NFACE conference http://coshrc.org/nface/confoverview.htm
-- Speakers' materials from sessions, including full text and/or PowerPoint
files for presentations, handouts, reading lists
http://coshrc.org/nface/Forum/presentations/index.htm
-- NFACE survey results and background research
http://coshrc.org/nface/research/research.htm

NFACE participants expressed strong interest in the establishment of an
ongoing Web-based information clearinghouse to support the development and
delivery of continuing education and to facilitate collaboration and
cooperation.  In response, I've created an area on the site that I'm calling
the "Archives Resource Center (ARC)" to meet some of this demand until a
long-term solution can be developed.  See http://coshrc.org/arc/index.htm

Items in the ARC of particular interest to archival educators include:
  -- Tools for Archival Educators
http://coshrc.org/arc/education/edtools.htm
  -- Web-based training: resources and implementations
http://coshrc.org/arc/webeducation/index.htm
  -- Teaching with primary sources (so far this covers only federal and
state agencies) http://coshrc.org/arc/education/primsources.htm
  -- Directory of History Day guidelines and activities (so far this covers
only federal and state agencies) http://coshrc.org/arc/natlhistday.htm
  -- Directory of calendars of training opportunities and other events
http://coshrc.org/arc/calendars.htm
  -- Directory of annual meetings and conferences
http://coshrc.org/arc/AssnMtgs.htm

If you have or know of other resources that should be added to any of these
directories, please let me know!

Vicki Walch vwalch@coshrc.org
NFACE Project Coordinator
Council of State Historical Records Coordinators