Re: Telegram codebook & Renault archivist?

Michael Tarabulski wrote: I'm working on a project that involves some diaries from 1925.  Mentioned in the diaries is a telegram code book. As I understand it, in those pay-by-the-word days, this codebook helped you save money on telegrams.  You'd say, "porkchops and applesauce, Sweetheart,"  and that would mean a whole lot more.  I have never seen such a book...me, a former railroad telegrapher.  Anybody
know where to find one?
Michael,
Don't know where to find one offhand but I used to own one.  I believe they were of two sorts, commercially available ones and ones developed by individual businesses with there own codes.  The one I had (I believe) listed single word codes e.g., "peanuts" and the text equivalent e.g, "Buy all the machine gun bullets you can".  I believe these were called commercial telegraph codes.  Of course since
everybody could buy and therefore understand what you were sending many companies developed their own codes.  If that's the case you would have a hard time deciphering coded entries or telegrams without the original, proprietary key.  Dick King
begin:vcard
n:;
tel;cell:520.419.6577
tel;fax:520.889.5660
tel;work:520.889.5666
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Arizona;Records Management and Archives
version:2.1
email;internet:kingr@u.arizona.edu
title:Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;University of Arizona=0D=0ARecords Management and Archives,=0D=0A250 E. Valencia Road=0D=0A;Tucson;AZ;85706;USA
end:vcard