From:   Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer [SMTP:c_crawfo@CULINARY.EDU]
Sent:   Friday, August 18, 2000 1:45 PM
To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject:        Re: Telegram codebook & Renault archivist?

Since it's Friday, I can't restrain myself from suggesting that if one were
to use the wrong codebook to decode the telegram, one might get some
interesting results! (is it time to go home yet?)

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

(note change of address as of May 2000)
Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(914) 451-1757 or (845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> "Richard G. King Jr." <kingr@U.ARIZONA.EDU> 08/18/00 10:43AM >>>

Michael Tarabulski wrote: I'm working on a project that involves some
diaries from 1925.  Mentioned in the diaries is a telegram code book. As I
understand it, in those pay-by-the-word days, this codebook helped you save
money on telegrams.  You'd say, "porkchops and applesauce, Sweetheart,"
 and that would mean a whole lot more.  I have never seen such a book...me,
a former railroad telegrapher.  Anybody
know where to find one?
Michael,
Don't know where to find one offhand but I used to own one.  I believe they
were of two sorts, commercially available ones and ones developed by
individual businesses with there own codes.  The one I had (I believe)
listed single word codes e.g., "peanuts" and the text equivalent e.g, "Buy
all the machine gun bullets you can".  I believe these were called
commercial telegraph codes.  Of course since
everybody could buy and therefore understand what you were sending many
companies developed their own codes.  If that's the case you would have a
hard time deciphering coded entries or telegrams without the original,
proprietary key.  Dick King