Re: Records for New Building

Just a few comments.  Be sure you end up with "as built" drawings, not just the proposed design, especially for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical.  Your physical plant people will want a copy of all of the above as built drawings so they know where everything is and how things really are connected.  You may wish to provide them with Mylar copies since they will be more durable.  You might be surprised at how dirty these can get depending on where they use them and store them.  If the physical plant people do not work for the library, plans can get mislaid over the years. I would suggest your library keep a copy of the entire set of plans as the archival copy. Why keep versions of the plans that did not come to fruition?

>>> Kathy Gaynor <kgaynor@LIBRARY2.WEBSTER.EDU> 08/19/00 02:27PM >>>
We are building a new library and are currently working with the architects
on getting our wish list down on paper.  We hope to break ground in 2001.

If you have gone through a similar process, you know that you go through
many drafts before the final sketch becomes a reality.  How much of these
drafts and other records should we be keeping for the archives?  There is a
building committee so the official minutes from their meetings should be
kept.  Also, I assume the physical plant will keep the actual blueprints.

Is there a checklist of the types of records connected to a building
project that should be archived?  Any guidance that you could provide would
be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.