Re: Telegram codebook & Renault archivist?

Michael:

Individual companies (in industry, law and the wholesale commercial trades)
often had unique telegraphic code books.
Locomotive builders used them; Southern Pacific Company employed a sequence
of 3 or 4 versions including an executive code for securing/veiling company
business transmitted over public and SP telegraph lines. My last employer,
California State Railroad Museum, has acquired some of SP's historic code
books for its reference library.

I have noted since that the practice seems to have been more for security
than economy (which could prove useful in our email world of today, no?).

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
CA State Archives