Re: Thumbnail Pages

Dean,

We're in the midst of a similar project for Dumbarton Oaks here in DC.  We've
been scanning/databasing a series of maps, architectural drawings and
photographs; some 35,000 have been completed to date.

The process starts with the raw scans, of course.  But from there, each file
undergoes "distillation", which includes color correction, sharpening,
adjustments for brightness & contrast and general cleanup/removal of
extraneous marks (from folds in the original, etc.).  We're also adding
information to each file's header pack.  Medium-res files (25MB) are stored
in TIFF format on archival CD-ROM for long-term storage. Web-ready JPEGs are
produced from those files.  These are used as the source files for the
imagebase.  The imagebase contains thumbnails of each original, along with 10
datafields, keywords and specific caption copy.

The collection isn't yet on-line, but it is my understanding that it will be
once the project has been completed.

If you'd like specifics on any aspect of this, please feel free to get in
touch.

Jim Lewin
President
Image Delivery Systems