                From:   Dean DeBolt [mailto:ddebolt@MAIL.UWF.EDU]
                Sent:   Friday, August 25, 2000 8:08 AM
                To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                Subject:        Thumbnail Pages

                Our library is considering a small project of creating a
                visual catalog of a portion of our map collection.  These
                are, fortunately, a group of 8 x 10 maps.   We would
                place thumbnail illustrations on the web along with a
                small database (map date, identifiers, and perhaps
                place) so these could be sorted.   This is a combined
                project of the Library, History, and Archaeology.

                I would like to know of any web addresses for ARCHIVES
                sites that have done this so we can do some browsing
                of examples.  My director is also very interested in what
                kinds of equipment and software is required to do this.
                At this point, I'd appreciate sites that we could see and
                then investigate further.  Thanks.

                Dean
                Dean DeBolt
                University Librarian
                Special Collections and West Florida Archives
                John C. Pace Library
                University of West Florida
                11000 University Parkway
                Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
                Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338

                To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
listserv@listserv.muohio.edu
archives@listserv.muohio.edu

                Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the web
interface at

                Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt
<rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>