copyright questions

I'm studying for the ACA exam tomorrow so this is hypothetical.  In going
over the copyright material I don't see where letters are covered.  It does
say that you can register a "collection".  So if you had an unpublished
collection of letters  or a diary which described an important event, and
someone wanted to publish them whole ala daddy longlegs, would the material
be covered by copyright to your institution?  does your institution have to
specify that the copyright reverts to them in the deed of gift?  does your
institution have to register the collection?  what about the photos? thanks
in advance for the clarifications.  Laura Zelasnic