Re: copyright questions

Charles Schultz wrote:

"At the moment one creates a document of any kind that document is protected
by the copyright law.  Thus, for what it is worth, I or my heirs will
continue to hold the copyright on this document until 50 years after I die
or a hundred years from today, whichever comes first unless there is a
change in the copyright to shorten or lengthen those times."

The change has occurred already, with the Sonny Bono Copyright Term
Extension Act of 1998. Now your message is protected for your life plus 70
years. See the handy chart at http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm ,
which incorporates the new law.

If anything, the publishing and entertainment industries will continue to
use their influence to strengthen and lenghten copyright, and further erode
the public domain.

Thomas J. Wood
Archivist
Archives/Special Collections LIB 144