Re: Presenting collecting ethics to the Board

Tom, tact is not my middle name, either.  Here's the personal advice of one
who has learned that there is no such thing as "diplomatic enough."

How you handle this should come straight out of why you need to do it.  What
brought this up?  Who asked you to speak?  Is there a private agenda
anywhere in sight?  If rumors are flying, then respectfully request that the
air be cleared -- Before you speak.  If an "incident" has occurred recently,
then ask that grievance &/or disciplinary procedures be completed -- Before
you speak.  Otherwise, your presentation is likely to add fuel to the fire,
and make you some enemies to boot.

Strict neutrality is the key to survival.  In crafting your remarks, always
ask yourself two questions:  How might a Board member react to this
statement if she had a guilty conscience?, and, How might a Board member
react to this statement if the persons involved were his closest friends?
Avoid referring to individuals.  Avoid referring to past incidents.  Avoid
any statement that the most raving paranoid on earth could possibly
interpret as a threat or an accusation.

Here's what you do, Tom.  Your presentation will not exceed a maximum time
of five minutes.  You will keep to the letter of the invitation.  You will
present copies of the Security recommendations of all those organizations
that are most germane:  SAA, ALA, AAM, and any professional construction
industry societies.  If asked -- and Only if asked, you will also present
copies of the Codes of Ethics of the same organizations.  You may quote from
no more than a maximum of two paragraphs. If asked -- and Only if asked, you
will name three local and/or comparable institutions familiar to the Board
that have incorporated these standards in their own policies.  You will
offer no commentary.  If asked -- and Only if asked, you may state your own
opinion in two words or less:  "I agree" or "I disagree" will suffice; "Yes"
or "No" would be better.  Then you will sit down and shut up.

Good luck.

Judy Robins,
Collections Supervisor,
Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology