Cell Phones

The Galveston and Texas History Center's Reading Room Regulations and
Guidelines form instructs researchers to "Please TURN OFF all cell
phones and set beepers to vibrate only."  This restriction was prompted
by a confrontation I had with an elderly patron who carried a small cell
phone in his pocket and answered it when it rang in my presence. He
complained that my staff members were allowed to take calls at their
desks, although I didn't allow him to use his phone.  I'm not opposed to
the technology, although I am dead set against rude people who use it
inappropriately.

Casey Edward Greene
Head of Special Collections
Rosenberg Library