Re: Policies regrding sending electronic images

David - tell them what you told us, only in official terms:  your
institution (i.e., you) considers an electronic copy to be the equivalent
of a negative and subject to the same fees and copyright issues, or even
non-release, as the case may be.  If you put it in terms of policy, and put
it in writing, this will enable you to turn down such requests objectively
and dispassionately.  Stick to your guns - it gets easier to say no after
the first one.  :)   good luck!

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://tundra.wr.usgs.gov/wrmrsAK/

                    David Smolen
                    <dsmolen@NHHISTORY.O        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    RG>                         cc:
                    Sent by: Archives &         Subject:     Policies regrding sending electronic
                    Archivists                  images
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    09/06/2000 10:40 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Archives &
                    Archivists

Fellow Archivists, I was wondering if anyone on the list could share with
me their policies regarding electronically sending images to customers who
request a reproduction of an image rather than giving them a physical
print. I feel like giving customers electronic versions of images is like
giving them a negative and so I don't like doing it. The problem of course
is that more and more people are asking for images to be placed on a zip
disk and it gets harder and harder to tell people no. Any thoughts on this
topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David Smolen
Special Collections Librarian